Quick + Easy Fundamental5 Healing Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 med celery stalks, diced
- 1 bunch sturdy greens, such as kale, broccoli rabe, mustard greens or collard greens
- 1 pound chicken thighs/breast*
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup wild rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh, soft herbs, such as parsley, mint, dill, basil, tarragon, chives or a combination
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place Chicken Thighs or chicken breast on a parchment lined sheet pan and season with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook for 10 minutes and flip. Cook for another 7-10 minutes checking for doneness.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high for a minute or so to warm it up. Add the oil and heat until it thins out, about 30 seconds. Add onion and carrot, celery and sauté until very soft and slightly cooked looking, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the greens and pull the leaves off the stems. Tear or chop into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Add garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon salt, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add stock and wild rice, and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until the soup is thick and flavorful, adding more salt if needed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Dice cooked chicken and add it to the pot.
- Add the greens to the pot and simmer until they are soft, approx 5 minutes.
- Stir lemon juice into the pot, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh diced herbs.
Note: This could easily be a vegetarian soup. In place of chicken you could add white beans, garbanzo beans or lentils for protein. Make sure to add beans/lentils when you add the broth for proper cooking.