FUNdamental5 Delicata Bowl
Hello Delicata Squash! Fall is here and so is this tasty, slightly nutty, creamy and beautifully caramelized squash! It’s also simple to roast as a “stand alone” dish. Here is a fall salad that hit’s all the high notes and paired with a simple protein makes a great FUNdamental5 Bowl!
- 1 lb. delicata squash
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
- 1 small shallot, very thinly sliced (or ½ small red onion)
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems and ribs removed, chopped (sub mixed greens, baby kale, or romaine)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or cubed
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese, feta, or cotija
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
Dressing: Pomegranate Dressing
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Sliced squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Slice the squash halves crosswise into ½-inch thick half moons.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, maple syrup, salt, pepper and cinnamon; whisk to combine. Add squash slices and toss well to coat.
- Arrange squash on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, tossing once halfway through. During the final 5 minutes, scatter pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet. Toss with squash to allow the spices to coat seeds.
- While the squash roasts, place shallots in a small bowl and toss with apple cider vinegar. Let sit until ready to assemble salad (at least 20 minutes).
- Make Pomegranate Dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a jar with a fitted lid or bowl. Shake, or whisk well to combine. Set aside.
- Place chopped kale/lettuce in a large bowl. Add 1 to 2 Tbsp. dressing and gently massage dressing into kale leaves just long enough so they soften (about 15 seconds).
- Transfer kale/lettuce to individual serving bowls and top with roasted squash, pumpkin seeds, avocado, goat cheese, and pomegranate. Drain vinegar from shallots, and scatter pickled shallots over the top. Drizzle salad with remaining dressing. Add a protein like chicken or tofu to make it a FUNdamental5 complete meal.