My guest today, Kate Halfpenny is a former Editor in Chief and current copywriter who I have had the pleasure of working with over the past year. Kate has helped me to share “my story” in such a powerful, authentic way by asking me soul searching questions that have made me think differently. Kate creates powerful copy by locking into your story and your powerful reach.
Kate Halfpenny has written for 30 years for Australian magazines, newspapers and digital websites including the Sydney Morning Herald, The New Daily and Who. She founded Bad Mother Media after facing her turning point last year during the pandemic working in a job she no longer felt aligned with.
A self-confessed city woman who loved the heels, the power suits and the city buzz, Kate decided that she needed to make a huge shift. She swapped the heels for bare feet and moved to the beach to run her business Bad Mother Media and live a life she has designed.
In this episode, Kate opens up about where her entrepreneurial journey began, building her own brand, and working with amazing clients to write their personal and professional copy.
Kate Halfpenny has over three decades’ experience as a writer, editor and columnist for national newspapers, magazines and digital news sites. As an award-winning executive editor for Australia’s WHO magazine (sister publication of People) she interviewed hundreds of global celebrities—Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts, Kim Kardashian, Sarah Jessica Parker—and wrote countless cover stories including Nicole and Tom’s divorce, Nicole and Keith’s wedding and royal hatches, matches and despatches. Now the founder of Bad Mother Media and a weekly columnist who writes from the perspective of a mid-life mother, Kate has played Tetris daily since 1992, is a fan of boogie boarding and Dave Grohl, runs when the mood takes her and has been the same weight since 1987, three pregnancies excepted.
In This Episode We Discuss:
- Womanhood, kids and careers
- How her son’s journey brought a beautiful full circle life moment
- Finding the balance between fun and punishment
- Interviewing celebrities
- Her biggest inspiration is found in everyday heroes
- How her path has brought her from telling other people’s stories, back to now telling her own
- It’s a great time to be 55
- Women are EXTRAORDINARY
- The impact telling YOUR story can have
- Finding your consistent, authentic voice
- Back yourself to achieve your dreams
- How not to lose sight of your biggest responsibility and how this will change your life.
- LinkedIn: https://au.linkedin.com/in/kate-halfpenny
- Website: https://www.badmothermedia.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/badmothermedia/
- Facebook: Bad Mother Media https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Writing-Service/Bad-Mother-Media-105377078276532/
- Kate’s weekly articles: https://www.theage.com.au/by/kate-halfpenny-p4yw66